A detailed account of my adventures, joys, and challenges of living in Accra, Ghana.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Weekend of First

I know it's Wednesday but I didn't think it was too late to share the details of last weekend. My roomies and I actually had quite the couple of days. Starting on Saturday, we were invited by a friend that Jody met to go see Shaggy, for those of you who are just as unaware of Shaggy's music as I am (although in my defence I do know he's Mr Lova Lova), he's a Hip-hop artist. Anyway, at first I didn't believe that Shaggy was actually in Ghana and we thought it was some West African knock-off. We decided to join Jody's friend, Kofi anyway because we were looking for something to do. The event was held at the Trade Fair Centre, which is essentially a large fair grounds in the city. When we arrived there were thousands of people there and we had a difficult time meeting up with Kofi. When we did, I asked him what the huge fair was all about and he told me that it was a reunion of ALL the highschools in Accra and some of the post-secondary schools! Yikes we had walked into a huge melee of high school grads celebrating their homecoming. Many people asked us what highschool we went to and didn't expect that we would have an answer, but Kofi had told us to tell everyone we went to the all boys school in Accra to see how people would react. All in all, a funny day and the real Shaggy topped of the day with some tunes along with local Ghanaian rastas and other musicians.

Sunday was not as hectic but fun all the same. Caitlin and I went to a Black Queen's football game which is the professional women's team in Ghana. They were playing Nigeria and won 1-0 which was exciting. Apparently the game is a qualifier for the Olympics in Beijing. The atmosphere was really amazing at the stadium and everyone was so boisterous and patriotic. I am looking forward to more football action during the African Cup of Nations which Ghana is hosting next January!

That's all for now...I promise that pictures will come soon.

No comments: