A detailed account of my adventures, joys, and challenges of living in Accra, Ghana.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ant Attack!


When you go to Africa people worry you about large predatory animals like lions and well not tigers and not bears but a slough of other horrifying creatures like snakes and large venomous insects. However, no one ever really addresses the fact that the biggest pest and most aggressive is the ANT! Yes, my life has been taken over by tiny little insects that bite at my feet, invade my desk, bathroom and kitchen and generally cause much anxiety. I can’t seem to get rid of them and they torment me like they know that they can get to me and take pride in it. The only thing I can say that I’ve found mildly fascinating about them is the sheer masses they travel in and the teamwork they employ to move things. I’ve seen full size moths, like the one in this picture and cockroaches being carried away by an assembly line of ants, up walls and around objects.

There have been two horrifying experiences with them to date. I woke up one morning and went to do the bathroom to do my business. I was still in a daze from sleep and I’m sure my eyes were only half open. When I went to reach for the toilet paper the entire roll and holder was covered with ants. I then noticed that the entire wall to the right of the toilet was covered in ants scurrying and traveling in chaos. I freaked and ran from the bathroom. Not having any Raid in the house I had to fend them off with a bottle of Deep Woods and a shoe. The second experience was one morning in the office. The previous night I was sitting at the table playing cards and someone looked over my shoulder and said, “Oh my God!” I freaked thinking thinking it was an army of ants to find out that she was merely noticing that a glass of water was about to spill off the edge of the table. So the next morning, my nerves already shot from thinking that ants are out to get me, my colleague Jody is talking to me and all of a sudden says, “Oh my God,” while looking over my shoulder. Is she referring to a glass of water? No…I turn to find out that my fear is not unfounded because a thousand ants were rushing around in a pile on the window sill behind my head. Aack! The office was a little more prepared than our house and we watched on as Ebenezer attacked the colony with Raid.

Most people would say I shouldn’t complain about such a trivial insect such as an ant, but I am and will continue to as long as they’re around. The other issue is that the only remedy or way to keep them at bay is with Raid. My immune system is already severely compromised because of the level of pollution in Accra and subjecting my system to the chemicals inside Raid is not helping the matter. I would use a home remedy like lemons but I don’t think I’d be able to buy enough. Another point of worry is that mango season is dawning and that means more ants because they thrive on the sweet nectar of the mango trees. I pray that God will grant me the patience to deal with these creatures.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hey...I was reading your blog because a mutual friend of ours, Richard, told me you were in Ghana and writing a blog which really interested me as I spent some time there a few years ago. I wanted to comment because I too had the most horrendous experience with the 'fire ants', the english translation of what they are called in Ewe is 'night evil'. I know you said that you didn't want to inhale more chemicals, however, the only thing that seemed to work in the village I lived in was either paint thinner or burning rubber....since its also a problem in your house I am not sure what to say :( I really hope they go away!